Saturday, 15 November 2014

Study abroad, live the different, expand yourself!

Posted on 06:31
Hi everyone...






This is my first post about study abroad and, as most of my FILA friends have posted here about schedule, classes, Goldsmiths, London and trips...I will talk more about how this study abroad experience is important for me, for my inner change. 

If you find it boring, don't worry! hahaha I will put some pictures up to entertain my audience.  =D



Study Abroad Experience



I feel that we, as FILA students, are really fortunate to have this study abroad experience. I personally had the chance to do it before, and I know that some of you also had this opportunity. It is amazing isn't it? Before London, I have the change to live in Brazil, Argentina, Ireland, the USA and Japan(Yes, Japan counts as study abroad for me! hehehe). Each experience, person, place, adventure, suffering, friend, pleasure, that I encountered in those countries, helped me to shape who I am today. And it could not be different with London. I've visited London a couple of times for holidays(travelling in Europe is really cheap!), but I could never imagine I would live here. I am feel that I am finally seen London as the place where I live, rather than a touristic place I am visiting. I finally begin to feel the difference between British culture and my own culture(or what is left of it, after adding others' culture to my own).

Live the Different



This brings me to the next point; live the different! While we study abroad, I think this is a key point. Sometimes we are afraid of what is different. We don't want to do it, see it, have contact with it or experience it, whatever "it" is. However, I think what is different connect us. We are all unique individuals and to be able to find someone completely different than you and still be able to make a connection, is something I think is incredible. I remember one of the points Maria said to us before moving abroad was to make new friends. I feel that, even though I haven't made a lot of new friends yet, I feel that I am expanding myself, opening my life to the difference and making new friends with my FILA classmates here. 

Expand Yourself



And my last point is, expand yourself! All these unique experiences we are having in Australia, America and England, will change us forever. Do you think you are different than before you go to study abroad? I am sure which one of you are changing in our own unique way, but you are definitely changing. We will go back completely different to Japan, and this will be our new "us". I am sure this whole study abroad experience is going to be life-changing for all of us, and I deeply hope you are enjoying it at the most.

Miss you so much classmates!!! =D

I would like to finish with Sensei's quote:

"The wisdom to perceive the interconnectedness of all life and living. The courage not to fear or deny difference; but to respect and strive to understand people of different cultures, and to grow from encounters with them. The compassion to maintain an imaginative empathy that reaches beyond one’s immediate surroundings and extends to those suffering in distant places. These qualities are the essential elements of global citizenship." Daisaku Ikeda

2 comments